Today we completed 16 dives. We have finished drawing, measuring and filming the western part of the site and have now started on the eastern part of the site OVM10. On the western part of the site we have found a lot of different ship parts. For instance, the stern and the keel. Piece by piece the overall picture of the ship is emerging.
Although the site is harder to interpret with all the scattered fragments of the ship, the photogrammetry process is going a lot faster because of the coded targets we applied. It is much easier to align the different chunks of stills from the videos and this makes it easier to see what has been properly filmed. The photogrammetry experts are then able to tell the divers which parts still need to be filmed to give us a complete picture of the site.
We took some dendro samples yesterday and today we prepared them for analysis. This requires measuring each individual piece, recording and labelling. We truly hope the samples will be good enough for dating, since many of them do have wide year rings. The samples that were taken may have come from production forests. These forests produced specific trees for the shipbuilding industry from the late 17th century onwards. This is however, problematic for us as it is harder to date the wood using dendrochronology. We’ll know more when the analysis is done.
Diving will continue this weekend and the pack-up will commence on Monday. The field school is wrapping up and some of the crew are leaving this evening.
Robert de Hoop (intern Maritime Programme)
Bronwyn Hughes (Leiden University)